Birth Doula Package
This comprises of 3 meeting’s before the birth, the birth and one post birth visit, as well as being on call night and day for the 5 weeks of the birth window! (See this post on the due date myth.)
- FREE: Introductory meeting- Look over my portfolio and discuss your specific hopes for the birth and what help you would like from a doula. Confirm that you want to continue you with me.
- Prenatal meeting – Map out birth plan, discuss pain relief alternatives, mental preparation and encouragement. If the father wishes to be present at the birth he will come along to meet me, learn about the ‘real’ birthing process, and go over his own birth plan so he can have the confidence and tools he needs to be present and active partner in the birth.
- Second prenatal meeting – Preferably at your home, we will practice breathing and relaxation techniques, making the appropriate voices together and massage.
- Birth – I like present at the birth from the start of active contractions to provide the laboring mother with a calm, positive, continuous presence, enabling the mother to feel safe and strong to embrace the powerful forces of birth within her. If desired I can also tastefully photograph the event.
- Post birth visit – I take notes during the birth to create a write-up of the birth story from my own observations, which we read through as a kind of debriefing. Many times it’s hard to remember exactly what happened, this is an excellent technique for savouring and internalizing the momentous event that has occurred. I have gone through some training as a breastfeeding consultant, and can help with inital breastfeeding issues, and other infant care (and mother care!) issues.
Post birth Doula
- by the hour, 2x 3 hours a week minimum
I can provide breastfeeding assistance, help a mother feel confident handling the newborn, bathing, finding the baby’s natural routine, and sleep training. I provide light cooking, errands, and let the mother have a break for a nap to make a world of difference in those first few weeks.
Private Birth Educator
For parents who’s first experience did not meet expectations, I help people learn wanted how to approach their next child with deeper understanding of the process. We review the birth process, the natural progression of labor and what to expect, and I give them both tools and ideas how to cope during different stages of labor. This is a process for both the mother and her birth partner to go through together, and I teach the father how to massage and touch, what kind of physical support will be appropriate for him to offer her during labor, so he can take on his role confidently fully quipped to be a good help. Becoming a strong birthing team does not always come intuitively, but it can be learned.